close
close

An uncontrolled natural gas leak in the basement is the reason a Carbon Street house collapsed on two families on Tuesday, said Syracuse Fire Chief Michael Monds.

The morning after the collapse, investigators from the Syracuse Fire Department, Syracuse Police Department, National Grid, the New York State Public Service Commission and an agent from the local Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms began a joint investigation to determine the possible cause of the incident.

There were no problems with the natural gas line that ran from the curb box on the street to the gas meter in the house. Investigators then focused their investigation on the interior of the collapsed house.

It turned out that the gas meter had two natural gas lines: one for the boiler and hot water tank and one where a tumble dryer should have been.

“There was a shut-off valve attached to this particular gas line, and it turned out that this shut-off valve was fully open,” Monds said. “The cause and origin of the explosion was determined to be a free-flowing natural gas leak from this gas line in the area of ​​the basement where a dryer should have been located.”

At the time of the explosion, there were no outstanding building code or maintenance violations, nor any outstanding work permits, at 205 Carbon Street. After discussing the results of the investigation with the Onondaga County District Attorney's Office and the Syracuse Police Department, no criminal action is currently being taken in this case.

As of Friday morning, Upstate University Hospital reported that two of the 10 victims hospitalized were still in critical condition, three were in fair condition and five had been released.

This is an evolving story.

Related Post

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *