close
close

A 19-year-old Garden City man is still recovering in a Wichita hospital after an explosion at his home Saturday caused by a natural gas leak that ignited when he turned on the stove, officials and his family said Tuesday.

“Completely gone,” said Erin Stillwagon, spokeswoman for the Garden City Fire Department, when asked about the house.Definitely a tragic situation.”

Emiliano “Milo” Urbina was home alone when he turned on the stove, triggering an explosion that damaged surrounding houses, sent debris flying through the neighborhood and downed a power line.

“From what I understand, he turned on the stove,” Stillwagon said. “I don't think he had a chance to cook.”

Urbina was pulled from the rubble by a neighbor. He said the teenager was conscious and begging for help when they found him. Emergency services took him to St. Catherine Hospital before being transferred to Ascension Via Christi St. Francis on Sunday.

“The problem was limited to the gas line in the house,” the Garden City Fire Department said in a press release.

Emiliano Urbina, 19, of Garden City was injured in a house explosion Saturday. He remained hospitalized Tuesday.Emiliano Urbina, 19, of Garden City was injured in a house explosion Saturday. He remained hospitalized Tuesday.

Emiliano Urbina, 19, of Garden City was injured in a house explosion Saturday. He remained hospitalized Tuesday.

Urbina’s condition was stable on Tuesday, his aunt, Maureena Enriquez said in a message. She said he had second-degree burns on his arms and right foot and a third-degree burn on his back. He also had nails inserted into his left foot on Monday to fix a fracture.

She said doctors are still checking whether he needs a skin graft.

Urbina and his three sisters, all younger, live in the house with their grandfather. Emergency services were called to the explosion at 7:11 p.m. on Saturday.

Urbina graduated from Garden City High School in 2023 and plans to attend Garden City Community College in the fall, she said.

“He is a kind, polite and big-hearted boy,” Enriquez said in a message Tuesday afternoon as she cleared away debris from the explosion. “We are very, very grateful to all the first responders, the city of Garden City and the neighbors and community that helped my nephew.”

Emiliano Urbina (back center), 19, of Garden City poses for a photo with his younger sister and her aunt. Urbina was injured in an explosion at his home on Saturday. He remained hospitalized Tuesday.Emiliano Urbina (back center), 19, of Garden City poses for a photo with his younger sister and her aunt. Urbina was injured in an explosion at his home on Saturday. He remained hospitalized Tuesday.

Emiliano Urbina (back center), 19, of Garden City poses for a photo with his younger sister and her aunt. Urbina was injured in an explosion at his home on Saturday. He remained hospitalized Tuesday.

To help with medical costs and rebuilding the house, a GoFundMe campaign has been set up. You can find it at shorturl.at/YkA4s.

“The road to healing will be long and both emotionally and financially challenging. We are asking our community for support during this difficult time,” the fundraiser states. “Your generous donation will go directly to covering medical costs and rebuilding our lives. Every contribution, no matter how large, will make a significant difference.”

Related Post

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *