close
close

Eleven victims of Sunday's mass shooting have been released from hospital, and eight others are still being treated.

Eight victims from Detroit, Clinton Township and Warren are still in the hospital, eleven have already been released, Detroit police said on Wednesday. The deceased are from Clinton Township, Detroit, Eastpointe, Taylor, Southfield and Warren.

Two people were killed in Sunday's shooting at a street festival in east Detroit near Reno Street and Rossini Drive.

There have been no arrests in the case, police said in a statement. Police are continuing to evaluate forensic evidence. Several shooters were involved in the incident, police said. Nine weapons and 100 cartridge cases were seized at the crime scene.

Evidence so far suggests that the incident was not a random shooting, the police press release said.

Several houses were involved in the party and it was an unauthorized or illegal street party, Detroit Police Chief James White said earlier.

On the Fourth of July weekend, police responded to six shootings at street festivals. The shootings resulted in 27 victims, three of whom died.

In response, Detroit Police have created a Neighborhood Response Team that will focus on illegal street parties. The team, which will consist of 80 officers, will focus on compliance and enforcement of street party laws.

The community gathered Wednesday night to denounce the wave of violence over the Fourth of July weekend and call for a “village” to end the violence. Detroit City Council President Mary Sheffield told the dozens of people in attendance that policies and policing alone will not stop the violence, but that the root causes of crime, such as mental illness and poverty, must be addressed.

“Let us abandon the idea that guns and violence are an acceptable part of our culture. Let us demand that we value life over reputation,” Sheffield said.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *